Miang Kham /Thai Appetizer. To eat : fill one leaf with fillings ,top with half teaspoon of sauce ,this can get a big bowl of sauce ,good for party or daily appetizer as it can save in refrigerator for later use. Miang Kham Is a Perfect Bite of Thai Food. These little parcels are packed with flavor and texture.
It's influenced by Burmese cuisine and is sometimes made with fermented wild tea leaves. Miang kam is often sold as street snack (see video Miang Kham at Chatuchak Market). Miang kham (or "mieng kham", miang kam, miang kum; Thai: เมี่ยงคำ, pronounced [mîaŋ kʰām]) is a traditional Southeast Asian snack from Thailand and Laos (Lao: ໝ້ຽງ Lao pronunciation: [mȉaːŋ]). We can process Miang Kham /Thai Appetizer using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. This is an easy step to process that.
Ingredients of Miang Kham /Thai Appetizer:
- Provide 5 bunch of Chaplu ( piperaceae) ,or sub by lettuce if you only want to try sauce
- Need of sauce
- Provide 400 grams of palm sugar
- Add 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- Add 1 of finely chop stalk of lemongrass
- Extra 1/2 tbsp of finely chop ginger
- Add 1 tbsp of good quality shrimp paste
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt to taste ,may be not use all
- Need 200 grams of dried shrimps,small size
- Extra 300 grams of shredded coconut
- Provide 100 ml of water
- Required of filling
- Plus 1 head of of ginger ,diced
- Add 100 grams of fresh chili ,chopped
- Provide 1 cup of roasted peanuts
- Required 1 of roast shreded coconut
- Extra 2 of lime,diced
It was introduced to the Siamese court of King Rama V by Princess Dara Rasmi. This page is also available in: Thai. Miang kham is a leaf-wrapped hors d'oeuvre that, in addition to its ingredients, binds together the history of two kingdoms, tea culture and the life of one queen. Pouches of Goodness Miang kham is made from wrapping various ingredients into wild piper leaves.
Miang Kham /Thai Appetizer step by step:
- Finely chop ginger,lemongrass,galangal ,clean leaves ,set aside.
- Roast coconut until light brown,add shrimp paste,dry shrimps,stir until little more brown,add palm sugar,water ,half of salt ,then let it simmer on low heat,stir frequently protect from burning until sauce get to dark brown color approximately 1 to 2 hours.
- During this time in seperate pan ,roast peanut until crispy ,do the same with shreded coconut until light brown ..then remove to serving plate ,chop chili, dice lime,ginger,clean leaves ,pat dry ,prepare to serving plate.
- To eat : fill one leaf with fillings ,top with half teaspoon of sauce ,this can get a big bowl of sauce ,good for party or daily appetizer as it can save in refrigerator for later use.
Miang kham is a dish that I've wanted to share on this blog for a long time now. This one-bite appetizer embodies bold Thai flavors, with spicy ginger and Thai chilis, sour lime segments, nutty toasted peanuts and coconut, and a sweet and salty shrimp paste-based sauce all wrapped together. The Thai appetizer, Miang Kham, is one of the healthiest snacks. It's a perfect mix of savory, sweet, and tangy, along with healthy raw vegetables. It's actually an appetizer, but we often eat it for dinner!